The National Catholic Schools Academic Junior High Decathlon (or AJHD) strives to cultivate academic talents, collaboration and organization, and celebrate them in the context of spirit-filled competition.
SAVE THE DATE:
Saturday, March 5, 2022
Regional AJHD Competition
Registration is OPEN (click on the Join Us tab above)
Resource List available in mid-October
NEW REGISTRATION OPTION ADDED FOR 2021-22:
Option 1 – Team of 10 (just like we’ve always had)
Option 2 – POD (part of Decathlon) for micro-schools or those without the resources to support a full team. Register up to 5 students to participate in an Individual Subject Test ONLY.
A big thank you to St. Augustine High School in San Diego for producing a short marketing video for the Academic Junior High Decathlon. They have been a host for the last several years of the Diocese of San Diego event, and used footage from our last event in March 2020 (pre-pandemic). Check it out here:
What is the Catholic Academic Junior High Decathlon?
- The Academic Junior High Decathlon is a one-day competition for Catholic School students in grades 6-8. This year the event will be online/virtual.
- Schools register online and will compete with 10 students on a team.
- There are 10 events:
- Two are collaborative team efforts – a logic quiz with 20 rigorous thinking problems, and a super quiz with 50 multiple choice questions on five broad academic themes.
- The remaining eight events test individual knowledge of the Roman Catholic doctrine, English, Literature, Science, Mathematics, Current Events, Social Studies, and Fine Arts (Art and Music).
- Topics for these events are available on a Resource List in October.
- Study Guides (practice tests and guidance) are available for purchase separately
- Awards are given for individual and team performance, and the winning school team from each geographic arch/diocese, and winners of individual subject tests competes in a National championship which is held shortly after the main competition.
The Catholic Schools Academic Decathlon was founded in September of 1989 by Dr. Mark Ryan who was then a junior high teacher at St. Aloysius School in south-central Los Angeles. Dr. Ryan had a vision for an academic event to parallel the athletic competitions so prevalent in schools. What began as a tiny competition involving a handful of schools from the greater Los Angeles area has grown to become a statewide event involving Catholic junior high students from across the United States.
The Decathlon is now under the guiding jurisdiction of the California Catholic State Superintendents Curriculum Committee (CCSSCC).
- Los Angeles
- San Bernardino
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Santa Rosa
- Rapid City